- Location: Lakemba NSW
- Commitment: One off - a few hours
- Category: Other
4 hours a week
- Centrelink Volunteers
- Skilled Volunteers
- Wheelchair Access
Type of work
- Administration & Office Management
- Disability Support
- Education & Training
- Mediation & Advocacy
- Seniors & Aged Care
- Translating & Interpreting
Volunteers are required to attend a 1/2 day training. STARS also provides ongoing training opportunities for volunteers to support them in their volunteer position.
- National Police Certificate *
Ability to read, speak and write English and a basic level of computer skills required.
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
Canterbury City Community Centre is a community based Organisation with an established presence in the Canterbury Bankstown Local Government Area and Inner West since 1972. We have a strong commitment to social justice and work closely with communities in our area to improve access to services and quality of life of local residents. Our centre is based in the culturally diverse suburb of Lakemba, close to Public Transport and some of the best restaurants Sydney has to offer.
Our centre is looking for volunteers to help ease the stress and confusion around filling out forms and accessing online government services for people from a culturally and linguistically diverse background, with a learning disability and/or struggle with accessing and using technology.
Form Help Tasks include:
• Provide support to complete forms both paper and online. (e.g. Centrelink, Housing, My Gov), • Help explain letters and correspondences from government and other organisations • Assist individuals to call government and other services to gain more information • Refer people to other services as required. • Work with people in a friendly and culturally sensitive manner.
Volunteers are not required to help with visa applications or court documents.
This role would be great for people interested in working or studying community services and wanting to gain an insight into the community service sector.