- Location: Kensington VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Education & Training
Volunteers are required to commit to one 2 hour session per week. This may be on a Monday or a Wednesday evening, 5.30pm - 7.30pm. A minimum of six months commitment to the program is required.
- Skilled Volunteers
- Wheelchair Access
- Work Experience
Type of work
- Education & Training
This is a volunteer position.
- Working with Children Check *
* An understanding of, and empathy with, people from diverse backgrounds.
* Good communication skills and competency in English
* Willingness to work as part of a team
* Two successful referee checks
* Able to demonstrate an understanding of appropriate behaviour when engaging with children
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
Kensington Neighbourhood House offers a range of recreational, social, educational and vocational programs as well as morning childcare. The House operates according to community development principles, including empowerment and support to become self-determining, working towards a just society and building a harmonious community which respects diversity.
Our Study Support Program provides regular, weekly learning support to school students from Prep to Year 10. The program assists in developing young people's confidence and helping them to participate in school in a more meaningful way. In particular, the program focuses on literacy, numeracy, homework support and general study skills. Volunteer tutors work either one-to-one or with small groups of students under the supervision of our Study Support Program Coordinator.
The Study Support Program runs at The Hub within the Kensington Housing Estate.
These volunteer roles suit people with previous teaching experience or people who are currently studying teaching or other related fields. Enthusiasm and a love of working with young people and families are a must! We would love some subject specialists for our older participants so if you love English or are passionate about Maths, Biology, Physics or Chemistry, please apply. Early years literacy helpers also needed.