- Location: Ashburton VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Environment & Conservation
Thursday 10am to 12pm. Working bees are now twice a month.
- People with disability
- Groups of 10 or more
- People Learning English
- Centrelink Volunteers
- Wheelchair Access
Type of work
- Garden Maintenance
On the job - some lifting and carrying is involved - but this is optional as tasks are shared. Monthly meetings to discuss plans and future of the Food Forest.
- Application form
- Induction session
The Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre is advertising this role on behalf of Winton Road Food Forest - Auspiced by Craig Family Centre.
Do you enjoy light work in the outdoors and have an interest in nature? Come and join our Food Forest. Working bees are informal but informative gardening sessions which may include harvesting, planning and tending to the plants - planting, watering, weeding, pruning, mulching, and harvesting again. We have conversations about plants and cooking them. Come armed with gardening gloves, a hat and a drink and your tools of choice. All welcome.
Tasks and Responsibilities: To assist with gardening. This role is firstly a social role where the volunteers get together to share their knowledge and enjoy the food forest together. The role also requires the volunteer to:
- water, weed garden beds, prune flowers and sometimes plant new plants alongside other gardeners
- Some lifting - but not essential
- Meeting monthly to talk about the future direction of group
- monthly working bees
- setting up the area (tables, equipment, refreshments),
- talking with others to decide on work needing to be completed for the day
- keeping records,
- cleaning up; and
- promoting the food swap w/ compost hub and management of Food Forest
Skills and Experience:
- Need to be able to follow directions from the other volunteers and to work cooperatively with others
- Would suit anyone who enjoys light work in the outdoors and has an interest in nature
- If you have special skills/experience of weeding, bush regeneration or knowledge of plant identification, that would be a bonus
- It's fun and a great community space - very friendly and welcoming group of locals who are interested in community spaces and environmental sustainability.
You can not apply for this role as it is no longer available.