- Location: St Leonards NSW
- Commitment: One off - a few hours
- Category: Other
Monday to Saturday 1-2 hours per week
• Volunteer Tutors will be trained using an online resource A Course in Volunteer English Language Tutoring. • Training is free and ongoing support with other training opportunities available to all volunteers.
- National Police Certificate *
- Working with Children Check *
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) was established in 1948 and was legislated under the immigration (Education) Act 1971. The AMEP is funded by the Australian Government Department of Education and Training. It provides up to 510 hours of English language tuition for eligible new, adult migrants and refugees to help them learn foundation English language and settlement skills.
The AMEP has important links with other Australian Government and state programs and services. For example, the Humanitarian Settlement Services (HSS) program assists refugees with early, practical settlement into the Australian community. TAFE NSW works with other stakeholders to assist AMEP students to settle in the community. The AMEP is not a mandatory program. TAFE NSW plays an important role in promoting the value of the program to students and the community.
The program supports the development of knowledge and skills that significantly improves the lives of students by providing pathways to greater social participation, employment, further study and training.
• Undergo a Working with Children’s Check
• Undergo a National Police Check
• Ability to commit to volunteering for a minimum of 6 months in the program
• Volunteers are required to attend all Interview / Training / Orientation sessions before being permitted to participate in the program.
• A caring Nature and an interest in helping people settle into their new community
Training / Information Session: • Volunteer Tutors will be trained using an online resource A Course in Volunteer English Language Tutoring. • Training is free and ongoing support with other training opportunities available to all volunteers.