- Location: Westmead NSW
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Health
4-6 hours per week Wed or Thurs between 9.30am - 2.30pm or Fri on fortnightly basis.
Type of work
- Administration & Office Management
- Companionship & Social Support
Work in pairs to provide information and support to relatives and carers attending a Mental Health Review Tribunal Hearing at Cumberland Hospital.
Western Sydney Local Health District is seeking volunteers to work in pairs to provide assistance and support to family members and relatives attending a Hearing at the Mental Health Review Tribunal.
Duties include: -Supporting relatives prior to or after a Hearing. -Ensuring information is available, making a referral to the relevant clinical staff member according to procedure, liaising with the Hearing Coordinator.
- With the support of the MHRT Volunteer Committee attend Orientation and training, provide feedback and observations at the end of the volunteer session
- Directly supporting relatives and carers.
Volunteers can choose to work either Wednesday or Thursday, beginning at 9.00 am to approximately 2.30pm. Friday sessions are available on a fortnightly basis.
- Gaining knowledge and skills in a specialised area of mental health services, not required to have direct contact with consumers(patients).
- Reducing stigma which often surrounds mental health conditions.
- Receiving support or de-briefing to consolidate and promote use of volunteers in adult mental health services.
Buddy System training designed to assist new volunteers to learn the role and develop their skills.