- Location: Sandringham VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Community Services
Type of work
- Disability Support
- Education & Training
- Food Preparation & Service
- National Police Certificate *
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
Volunteers are required by a Community Centre to provide support to adult students, who are independent adults with an intellectual disability, in a variety of experiences as they select and prepare a range of different foods. These encompass food handling practices, food selection, healthy choices, catering, as well as occasionally packaging and selling food prepared during the class. The classes take place on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:30am to 12:30pm. Duties:
- Assist the Tutor and other support staff as directed
- Help set-up cooking equipment and ingredients
- Encouragement of students at all times
- Direct & assist students with assigned tasks
- Direct & assist with set up and clean up of kitchen & dining area
- Maintain & encourage Food Safety practices at all times
- Assist with classroom based theory and menu planning
- Accompany the group to local supermarket if applicable Skills Required:
- Sensitive to needs of people with disabilities
- Basic knowledge of cooking
- Ability to supervise and encourage students in the performance of their assigned tasks. Assist only when needed.
- Food safe certified (or willing to take the course)
- To be mobile, active, alert & attentive in a kitchen environment
Orientation to the Centre by the Department Manager. On the job training by tutor. Opportunity to attend extra relevant training as required Food Handler’s training to be arranged if required. Food Handler’s Course is available at the Centre.