- Location: Doncaster VIC, Bulleen VIC, Box Hill VIC, Vermont South VIC
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Education & Training
By mutual agreement. Usually around an hour a week plus some preparation time
- Skilled Volunteers
- Wheelchair Access
Type of work
- Education & Training
- Library Services
- Tutoring & Coaching
The library will provide supervision and ongoing support.
- National Police Certificate *
- Working with Children Check *
* experience in tutoring/training is preferred but not essential
* friendly, helpful and effective communication skills
* ability to read and write English proficiently and to be able to convey knowledge to adult students
* ability to assist the students identify their language and literacy needs
* cultural awareness and empathy to adults of diverse backgrounds essential
* Police check to be organised by Library at no cost to volunteer.
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
Whitehorse Manningham Regional Library Corporation provides a vital service that strengthens community knowledge, understanding, engagement and connection.
The Whitehorse Manningham Libraries facilitate 'buddy conversations' at each of its eight branches, where volunteers interact with adults from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and instruct, assist, encourage and support them to improve their speaking, listening and comprehension skills in the English language. The aim is to provide a relaxed, friendly and safe environment for the adult students to practise general English language skills through conversation, on a one to one basis.
Buddy Conversations will be run at the library premises and library staff are always available to provide guidance and advice.
- interact with an adult to encourage their speaking, listening and comprehension skills in English
- plan conversation starters to help the person to develop English language skills, in accordance with the student's individual needs
- maintain regular contact with their supervisor
- make a regular commitment
This is a wonderful opportunity to share the joy and richness of culture and language and to provide social inclusion to participants through personal connection.
If required, further details are available on the Whitehorse Manningham Libraries website.
The green button "Express Interest" button below will send your basic details to the library. To make a detailed application you'll then need to go to the Libraries' website and on the home page click on JOBS AND VOLUNTEERING, then select "Volunteering" and fill in the online form linked under English Language Instructors positions.