- Location: Pyrmont NSW
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Museums & Heritage
7 .5 - 8 hrs pw between 9:30am - 5:00pm flexible days Mon - Sun
Type of work
- Tour Guides, Information, & Heritage
- Translating & Interpreting
Induction and orientation training as well as access to online training modules on key exhibits. Regular group training sessions on permanent exhibits and guiding techniques are held, along with on the job mentoring by experienced guides.
Volunteer tour guides are needed to provide guided tours to museum visitors within the Museum and on board vessels at the wharf. Volunteers nominate their preferred day or days of the week for the month ahead. They are rostered onto specific tours according to their knowledge and interests, initially with a mentor and on their own when confident and ready to solo.
- Inform visitors of the museum's programs and services.
- Assist museum visitors to have a positive experience
- Record the number of visitors on tour sheets provided.
- Provide feedback to museum staff on WHS issues and other issues of concern.
- Interest in Australia's Maritime Heritage.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Ability to follow daily roster and work independently.
- Ability to engage with visitors from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Asian language skills are always in demand to assist the growing number of visitors from China and Japan.
It is desirable that volunteers make a minimum commitment of 6 months.
- Develop and extend your communication and customer service skills.
- Work with a supportive and enthusiastic team of staff and volunteers.
- Volunteer uniform including shirts, name badge, hats and water bottles.
- Quarterly outings and morning tea guest speakers.
- Six free museum Big Tickets per year valued at $30 each.
- Discounts on membership, in the Museum Store and in Food outlets.
- Certificates of service and invitations to the annual volunteers appreciation lunch.