- Location: Randwick NSW
- Commitment: Regular - more than 6 months
- Category: Sport
We ask all our volunteers to be able to commit to a minimum of one year part-time, with a minimum commitment of one hike per month.
- Skilled Volunteers
- Work Experience
Type of work
- Safety & Emergency Services
- Sport & Physical Activity
- Tour Guides, Information & Heritage
Emu Trekkers is a not-for-profit charity run by volunteer guides based in Sydney, Australia. Our mission is to offer adventurous hiking tours around Sydney and the Blue Mountains and use the proceeds to support the education, healthcare and welfare of disadvantaged children and youth. At Emu Trekkers, volunteers manage almost all aspects of the organisation. This is not a place where you will be stuck doing photocopying and filing all day long. Instead, you will be busy planning and leading treks through some of Australia’s most beautiful natural landscapes, all in the name of helping disadvantaged kids get support in education, health and welfare.
We are looking to recruit awesome tour guides and assistant tour guides for our walks. To make sure that the tours are top quality, tasks we would like volunteers to get involved with, other than trekking, may include:
- Preparing food and equipment
- Cooking meals
- Organising other events
- Coming up with ideas to make the organisation even better
What requirements are there for being a volunteer hiking guide?
At Emu Trekkers we are looking for volunteers who:
- Have a love of the outdoors and hiking
- Have a high level of physical fitness
- Speak English
- Have a valid first aid certificate, or a willingness to obtain one
- Have a good knowledge of the local history, or a willingness to learn
- Be able to commit to a minimum of one year part-time
- Show a willingness to help out no matter what the job requires, whether it be trip preparation, clean-up, or working in the office.
What do volunteers receive in return?
Volunteers at Emu Trekkers will get training and experience in outdoor recreation guiding, leadership, advanced first aid, knowledge of sustainable environmental practices and cultural heritage sites, organisation management, safe food preparation and a whole range of other skills required for the workplace. Most importantly, volunteers will be making a difference to kids who really need a helping hand.
There are no fees for being a volunteer at Emu Trekkers. Emu Trekkers will also reimburse guides for out-of-pocket expenses incurred while on the hikes, such as food, camping fees and transport costs. If you are keen to get involved but do not have the required first aid training, please get in touch to discuss possible options for this training as well.
For further information (including the Volunteer Application form), please check out our website. If you are unsure, whether this will be the right fit for you, why not join us for one of our hikes to get to see the organisation in action.