Friend to Older PeopleSt Jude's Community Visitors Scheme
The Community Visitors Scheme is targeted to older people who:
- do not have regular and reasonably frequent positive and engaged contact with friends or relatives,
- feel isolated or lonely, or are at risk of being socially isolated, and would benefit from a volunteer's friendship and companionship,
- whose frailty and mobility or communication impairments may hinder them from participating in social or leisure opportunities.
Volunteers are linked with an older person living alone, or in one of several facilities serviced by St Jude's CVS. The volunteers visit weekly (preferably), or fortnightly, typically for up to an hour. The Scheme is highly flexible, and makes allowance for volunteers' holidays, illness, unexpected work or family commitments etc.
Volunteers have access to a Coordinator to facilitate introductions and assist with any issues that may arise. Reasonable travel and other expenses incurred by volunteers during the course of their visits are reimbursed by CVS.
The CVS welcomes volunteers from a wide variety of backgrounds, including those who:
- are able to comfortably chat with, and relate to older people;
- live in the Brighton / Marion district, or in the vicinity of one of the designated aged care facilities;
- have transport or capacity to get to the facility or the older person's home;
- are aged 18-85 years. People over the age of 85 are also welcomed, but they may have limited volunteer insurance coverage;
- have the time to visit consistently, at least fortnightly for about an hour, and are willing to make a 12 month commitment to visit;
- are willing to undergo an application and orientation process;
- have a current driver's licence and are willing to obtain a National Police Certificate (no cost to the volunteer);
- have, or are willing to get an annual flu vaccination. Any cost will be met by St Jude's CVS;
- are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and are willing to comply with all entry requirements (Rapid Antigen Tests, temperature taking etc), maintained by aged care facilities to afford maximum protection for residents. Any costs associated with these requirements will be met by St Jude's CVS or the facility visited..