The Global EverGreening Alliance (The Alliance) is an international NGO that coordinates the development and implementation of massive-scale environmental restoration and sustainable agricultural intensification projects in developing countries around the world. Its members include World Vision, CARE International, Oxfam, Catholic Relief Services, Conservation International, The Nature Conservancy, the World Resources Institute and World Agroforestry.
The Alliance was established to create and apply long-term solutions to the global problems of land degradation and climate change. In June 2022, the Alliance launched Restore Africa, the largest community-based land restoration program in Africa. More than 1,8 million hectares of degraded land will be restored through sustainable land management practices in six countries: Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Ethiopia, Malawi and Uganda, improving the livelihoods of more than 2 million households and capturing more than 80 million tons of CO2 in the process.
The Program Implementation team is seeking an enthusiastic volunteer who is interested in supporting the team with various activities as outlined below. The Alliance’s programs have experienced rapid growth over the last few years, and our work expands across the Africa and Asia regions. The Alliance’s Implementation Team is mandated to lead the implementation and coordination of its global programs.
The team is comprised of Melbourne-based staff and the regional Program Coordination Unit in Kenya. This volunteering opportunity will be supervised by the Program Implementation Manager and will interact with the Melbourne, Nairobi and Asia-based teams.
An overview of the tasks to assist the Implementation Team is outlined below
Systems and Processes
- Review and recommend enhancements on current filing systems and structure
- Support in developing project lifecycle management documents (report review tools, trip reports, TOR, task flowcharts, program monitoring framework, project management tracker, milestones)
- Maintain presentations and briefs with up-to-date information (i.e., organograms with new staff, and removal of staff that have left)
Project Management Support
- Review and edit project design documents and budgets as needed
- Assist in budget preparation and analysis
- Contribute to the development of standardized training modules for Africa and Asia portfolios
- Maintain and update milestone trackers for partners within Asia and Africa portfolios.
- Provide support to Africa and Asia portfolio managers by reminding them of upcoming milestones
- Proofread and format investor/donor and partner reports
- Support in the timely and accurate filing of project planning, monitoring, and desk-based and field monitoring information for Africa and Asia portfolios, adhering to internal and external deadlines
- Monitor, track and contribute to project planning and implementation where necessary
- Prepare minutes and documentations for key team and program meetings and events
- Play a role in developing positive working relationships with other departments
- Research on country-specific regulations governing carbon project development and carbon trading practices
- Assist in identifying relevant government bodies responsible for issuing carbon approvals and authorizations
- Summarize and brief the team on the latest VERRA guidelines and requirements
- Contribute to the risk assessment process by identifying and evaluating potential threats and risks in the Asia/Africa regions, and drawing on accurate data and statistics for advocacy purposes, risk matrix etc.
Competencies and Skills Required
- Passion for international development, particularly in natural resources and environmental management, coupled with relevant know-how
- Familiarity with project cycle management concepts
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop and maintain strong cross cultural professional relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- An interest in interacting with international parties via telephone and video call
- Proactive work practices with a high level of initiative to manage and organize work tasks
- Proficiency in computer use of Excel, Word, email and database management
- Commitment to contributing to The Alliance’s growth and development
- A team player and ability to work independently
How to Apply
To be considered for this opportunity you must have the right to work in Australia. Please provide your resume and a cover letter clearly detailing your interest and suitability for this opportunity. Submissions will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, so please submit as soon as possible. Please note, we will only contact those who are shortlisted.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com using the subject line: Volunteer - Program Implementation Support.