Our volunteer mentors contribute to RMCC's mission of empowering kids from refugee and migrant backgrounds. Mentors will volunteer for 2-3 hours a week, and they assist the Program Coordinator to execute our weekly program sessions and support RMCC kids. RMCC runs three different programs:
• Sidekicks Senior (2.30pm-5.30pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, face-to-face and online) is for secondary school students from year 7-12 and provides educational support and life skill development to adolescents from refugee and migrant backgrounds. Mentors support participants by creating a positive and judgment-free environment where students can engage in learning and build new connections with peers, the community, and their mentors.
• Sidekicks Junior (2.30pm-5.30pm on Thursdays, and Wednesday, online and face-to-face) is for primary school students from year 3-6 and provides educational support and life skill development to children from refugee and migrant backgrounds. Mentors support participants by leading workshops; assisting with homework; practicing written/spoken English; building confidence, and promoting inclusion and cultural acceptance.
• Side by Side (2.30pm-5.30pm on Monday, online only) is for prep–year 2 students and their families and aims to increase family capacity to support learning at home. This program also assists parents to connect to the school community and better engage with the Victorian school system.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide high-quality mentoring to students and their families in a range of topics and projects with an emphasis on family learning and engagement; • Communicate effectively with students and their parents about the tasks involved and provide assistance when needed; • Listen actively and effectively in order to identify and solve problems, facilitate learning and build student confidence and family participation; • Acquire a deeper understanding of program material and mentoring techniques and be open to new ideas on how to help students and their families; • Build a trusting learning relationship with the children and their families.
WHO YOU ARE
• Passionate about the mission of RMCC and creating change for vulnerable refugee and migrant children; Confident, professional, and willing to embrace challenges; • A driven self-starter that is ready to take initiative; • Positive, caring, and inclusive; • Energetic and dynamic team member; • Prior volunteer experience looked highly upon.
YOUR SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Fluent in the English language with outstanding verbal and written communication skills; • A passion for, and knowledge of, current refugee and asylum seeker issues; • Experience working with children and/or young people is looked highly upon.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS ROLE
• Current Working With Children Check or willingness to obtain one; • Current National Police Check or willingness to obtain one; • Some out of hours work may occasionally be required.
Please see the attached Position Description for additional information!
At RMCC, we are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we are an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, or disability.
Please email your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. Make sure to identify your preferred day of volunteering.