AUSTRALIAN BUSINESS VOLUNTEERS - ABV
We currently have a volunteer opportunity for the following:
Martu First Nations Business Development Mentors Support First Nations mentees to establish and develop thriving businesses.
Make an Impact and difference that people feel.
Join Australian Business Volunteers on our mission to positively change communities. Whether you are an individual or a business, you can create vibrant and viable communities.
What we do
ABV delivers economic change to communities across the globe through donated business expertise. We create self-reliance and resilience and leave a lasting economic impact – one that endures generations.
How we do it?
We offer meaning opportunities for skilled business professionals to volunteer their expertise across communities in Australia and the Pacific. We work with communities to understand their needs and work with our Skilled Business Volunteers to match them to projects, that bring the right skills at the right time to help deliver outcomes.
About the opportunity
Primary Purpose of the Position
Our partner organisation has an ongoing relationship with the First Nations community, which consists of six language groups across several countries near the partner's location. In collaboration with ABV, our partners aim to create business opportunities for the First Nation community to promote their economic independence, growth, and sustainability both now and in the future.
Tasks: Specific projects deliverables – these will vary depending on the requirements for the mentee: • Intellectual property protection plan
• Any legal frameworks required to protect intellectual property
• Digital Literacy: streaming platforms, social media, and digital marketing tools.
• Funding plan
• Musician or Artist management and recruitment for Management
• Seamstress guidance
Selection Criteria: Essential criteria: Volunteer will be capable to take the following approach:
• Understand how to deep listen
• Know how to explore blind spots and leadership style
• Be open to feedback
• Be agile and flexible
• Allow for emergence and little planning
It is desirable for the Volunteer to have the following cultural understanding:
• Have worked with First Nations communities in Australia previously
• Understand First Nations cultures, practices and history
• Have completed some cultural awareness training, although ABV will provide specific training during the onboarding process
• Understand the structural obstacles First Nations peoples face in Australia
• Work in remote communities and environments previously
• Experience working with complex community dynamics
Some of the technical skills and or experience in the below:
• Prior experience in mentorship or coaching, even outside of the music and arts sector.
• Creative Intellectual property protection and management
• Legal frameworks for creative intellectual property protection
• Musician and artist management and manger recruitment
• Seamstress skills (experience as a seamstress or working with them in the fashion industry - one of the mentees is a fashion designer).
• Online sales and marketing for music and art (Experience or understanding of online platforms like Spotify, Apple Music etc. and e-commerce experience)
• Online music platform management
• Music recording experience
- Key Dates: September 2023 - April 2024: 7-month duration (travel to WA in October)
- Location: Online and travel to WA.
- Partner Location:
Interested to Apply?
Please note, if you are interested in applying for the role, we will require you to meet the following criteria:
- 5 years professional experience in the relevant field
- Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident residing in Australia. Australian Citizens residing overseas may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Willingness to complete a National Police Check
- Willingness to complete a Working with Children Check
- Covid 19 Vaccination
What will happen next?
Our volunteer recruitment team will be in touch with you to confirm the outcome of your application.
Find out what our volunteers love most about working with our communities:
Throughout our 40-year history, ABV has relied on our passionate and committed volunteers who use their impressive business skills to build marketplaces, mentor entrepreneurs, strengthen institutions and transform communities.
Visit our website to see more about what our volunteers have be involved in and view their stories.
ABV is an equal opportunity employer and Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally & linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds are encouraged to apply for this position.