Board DirectorRspca (Vic)
ABOUT RSPCA VICTORIA
RSPCA Victoria is a non-government, community-based, not-for-profit organisation whose vision is ‘ending cruelty to all animals’. We are Victoria’s best-known and most respected animal welfare organisation.
Our organisation’s purpose is to work with the community to achieve outstanding animal welfare through education, advocacy, and animal care and protection. RSPCA Victoria’s values - clarity and accountability, respect and consideration, and expertise and collaboration - set clear expectations for all our staff and volunteers.
Volunteers are an integral part of the RSPCA Victoria team. They play an active and vital role in helping to support our work to improve the welfare of animals and protect them from cruelty and neglect.
The role of the Board of RSPCA Victoria is to govern and direct the organisation in accordance with its vision of ending cruelty to all animals and our purpose, with the community, to achieve outstanding animal welfare outcomes through education, advocacy, animal care and protection.
The Board provides an interface between RSPCA Victoria and its members, ensuring that the organisation continues to be highly regarded by its membership and the state’s wider community.
By joining the Board, Directors accept an obligation to comply with the law, to act in the best interests of RSPCA Victoria and to adhere to the RSPCA Victoria Constitution, Code of Conduct, policies and goals and principles of RSPCA Victoria.
A Director must make reasonable inquiries to ensure that RSPCA Victoria is operating efficiently, effectively and legally (including good risk management) towards achieving its goals and undertake diligent analysis of all proposals put before the Board.
In fulfilling the Board’s business at meetings, a Director must behave in a manner consistent with procedures for the conduct of these meetings by acting in a business-like manner that is aligned to the organisations values; acting in accordance with the Constitution; ensuring that others are given an opportunity to participate; and being responsive to the requests or indications of the Chair.
The Director is required to:
- Be willing to participate in all Board meetings and a minimum of one Board Committee;
- Provide feedback on the strategic direction of RSPCA Victoria, financial operations and solvency;
- Participate in effectively directing the overall management of RSPCA Victoria.
- Thoroughly read papers provided for Board and Committee meetings to ensure active participation;
- Provide high level advice to the CEO and Senior Management Team and demonstrate leadership;
- Participate in scheduled workshops to address strategic issues, planning or evaluation;
- At all times promote a positive image of RSPCA Victoria and take steps to ensure that RSPCA Victoria is well regarded by potential beneficiaries and supporters;
- Act as an interface between RSPCA Victoria and its members;
- Proactively discuss RSPCA Victoria’s position in the community and encourage fundraising and participate in campaigns, advocacy, and events;
- Operate within the particular terms of reference at Committee and Board meetings;
- Not engage in conduct likely to bring discredit upon the RSPCA Victoria;
- Support the organisations fundraising goals, including facilitating introductions with high network individuals and philanthropic institutions;
- Comply with the RSPCA Victoria Media Policy and not make public comments regarding the considerations and determinations of the RSPCA Victoria, unless authorised by the Chair and the Chief Executive Officer to do so; and
- Agree to act in accordance with RSPCA Victoria’s organisational policies and values.
Applications close by 5pm on Friday 31st March 2023.
A brief governance CV will be required.
For application queries ring Nadine Hutchins on 03 9224 2283, in confidence.