Girls of Colour VolunteerWomen of Colour Australia (WoCA)
1. Who is Women of Colour Australia (WoCA)
Women of Colour Australia (WoCA) is a not-for-profit organisation and a registered charity established in August 2020. We are run by women of colour for women of colour. We exist to champion Australia’s women of colour through programs of education, community support initiatives, and advocacy work.
Our Vision: A world where girls and women of colour are afforded equitable opportunities to reach their full potential.
Our Purpose: To advocate, support, and strengthen the lives and experiences of Women of Colour in all places and spaces in Australia.
You can find out more about us on our womenofcolour.org.au website.
- Commitment for at least a year
- Active participation in monthly meetings and activities
- Organising events - event proposals, liaising with sponsors, recruitment of speakers, engaging with relevant external organisations etc.
- Activities involve learning and acquiring skills aimed at strengthening leadership capabilities, organisational abilities, communication skills and confidence
- Building and creating a community of girls of colour where commonly faced issues can be addressed safely
- Collaborate and work with a wide range of age groups and fields - From other girls in the team to partnering with internal teams and external organisations to push for social change
We are looking for volunteers aged 13 - 18 with qualities as follows:
- Open-minded, willing to learn and step out of comfort zones
- Working in a team of Women of Colour
- Passion for advocating for Women of Colour
- Eagerness for change and to make a difference
4. Benefits of volunteering with WoCA
WoCA focuses on educating ourselves and seeking, with purpose and intention, opportunities for growth. We support each other to build a sense of belonging. We advocate for ourselves and for our community to drive change.
Holding a role in this team brings with it many benefits and development opportunities, including:
- Strengthening your teamwork and communication skills
- Developing strategic thinking
- Developing and implementing innovative and effective multi-channel communications
- Honing skills in marketing, communications and design software
- Practical work experience to strengthen your CV
- A chance to increase your community advocacy and social interaction.
- Building and being a part of a community that is specifically designed to address the challenges women of colour face and,
- Networking with women of colour across various fields