English Conversation AssistantAlamein Neighbourhood & Learning
The Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre is advertising this role on behalf of Alamein Neighbourhood and Learning.
We are looking for 2 volunteers to run English Conversation sessions for older people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. Volunteers will create a positive experience for participants, utilising worksheets and activities provided by Alamein.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Assist with setting up classroom, with physical distanced seating
- Assist students with Covid-safe requirements
- Lead conversation activities
- Assist students through English worksheets
- Clarify topics for students, where appropriate and needed
- Encourage students to engage in and complete their work
- Assist with resource organisation (photocopying, iPad distribution, etc.)
- Assist with packing up the room as required at end of session
Skills and Experience:
- Strong ability in spoken and written English
- A good understanding of English grammar and vocabulary.
- Strong ability to work independently and seek support when needed
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- A caring, affirming approach, which encourages people to try new activities
- Strong ability to build rapport with people with slight intellectual disabilities, diverse abilities, and people from cultural & linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds
- Tutoring or teaching experience in ESL/EAL is valuable