Volunteer - Activism Leadership Committee MemberAmnesty International Australia
As a member of your regional Activist Leadership Committee, you'll play a lead role in growing, motivating, and sustaining local human rights activism in your area. Regions are WA, SA/NT, TAS, VIC, ACT/Southern NSW, NSW, QLD/Northern NSW.
Depending on your role you will be supporting between 6-28 groups of other activists as well as partners and communities of lived experience to have collective impact for human rights.
You'll work closely with staff and fellow activists to design and deliver regional activism plans, grow and enable members and activists in your area, provide mentorship and support for action groups and partners in your region and consult with Amnesty International Australia on our vision, campaign priorities and policies.
Please be aware that this volunteer role is elected and all Activism Leadership Committee Members must be Amnesty International Australia Members (refer to our website) in order to stand for nomination.
#This role is responsible for:
As an Activist Leadership Committee Member you will be supported by staff and working alongside a team of other committee members in your region to achieve the following:
- Develop and deliver a plan for human rights activism in your region
- Motivate and coordinate fellow activists in delivering campaigns, projects or events that support your regional human rights activism plan
- Prioritise Amnesty International Australia’s 2025 Vision and objectives and adhere to policies including the Values and Behaviour Charter, Diversity Inclusion and Wellbeing Action Plan and ALC Charter
- Support the ongoing recruitment, onboarding, development and retention of new activists and members
- Build a culture of ongoing support, appreciation and development for members, activists and action groups in your region, and report on wins in your region back to the broader movement
- Manage your regional budget and assess all budget requests put forward by other activists in the region In collaboration with the Regional President, the Activism and Membership Committee and the National Board, engage with member and activist feedback and support resolution of any conflicts or concerns
- Represent Amnesty International Australia at regional events, with any partners in the region or with regional media
- Complete other ad-hoc tasks assigned by the Activism and Membership Committee or the National Board
To learn more about this role, please view a detailed position description.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Any Amnesty International Australia member can nominate to be elected to this position before 23 March 2023. But we will be having early information and induction opportunities in many regions. If this role sounds like you please apply below. Please answer the following selection criteria and attach your CV as part of your application.
If you have any questions about the application process or the role feel free to get in touch with us on the advertised email address and we can introduce you to your regional Activism Leadership Committee.
- What are your motivations for applying for this position? P* lease provide an example of a time you’ve used your creative planning and strategic thinking skills to create an effective campaign / event / project plan
- What experience have you had building inclusive and empowering relationships with others, particularly with varied commitments and capacity levels? How have you worked collaboratively with others to achieve an outcome?
This opportunity within Amnesty International Australia is on a volunteer and unpaid basis. There is no intention to enter into an employment or legal relationship by either party in fulfilment of the duties as specified in this position description. By applying for this opportunity you agree to the above.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion at Amnesty
We are committed to equal opportunities in all areas of our work, community and partner relationships. We want people to achieve their full potential, which will positively impact our work and the communities in which we operate. At AI Australia, our values empower people to be themselves within an inclusive and supportive environment. We are a movement of people from all walks of life around the world. We intend to actively contribute to building a more diverse and inclusive team.