For over 50 years, Family Life has been providing services and support for individuals, children and families when they are experiencing challenges. We believe every family deserves to live in a safe and supportive community. Everything we do supports this through our family and individual support services, community strengthening programs, an engaged volunteer community, passionate skilled staff, and a network of op shops.
As an organisation we celebrate diversity and inclusion. We value, respect, and listen to people who are culturally and/or linguistically diverse, gender and sexually diverse and people with a disability.
Family Life has multiple Community Opportunity Shops located across the Bayside, Mornington Peninsula and Kingston regions of Melbourne. These community-hubs are vibrant spaces, each shop playing an important role in the lives of the community of which they are a part.
Family Life was founded by volunteers and they continue to play a key role in making a positive difference in supporting our community.
The Volunteer Retail Assistant helps raise funds to support Family Life’s services by assisting in the day to day operations of the Community Opportunity Shops.
The key responsibilities can include but are not limited to:
- Courteously accept donations from the public
- Sort and clean donations according to processes and procedures
- Replenish stock on the shop floor with merchandise as required
- Provide exceptional customer service to members of the public
- Process payments for the sale of goods
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment
- Demonstrate, understand and apply the Family Life principles
The Volunteer Retail Assistant operationally reports to the Store Manager, or their delegate, who is responsible for assigning daily tasks.
- 4 hours per week, days to suit (Monday to Sunday)
- Retail experience preferred, but not necessary
- Enthusiastic and team player
- Strong organisational skills
- Good communication skills and customer friendly attitude
- Punctual and reliable
- Ability to take initiative and know when to take direction
- Ability to work with people of a diverse background and with diverse needs
- Willing to obtain Working with Children Check and undergo a police check (free to volunteers).