Help support local schools and students by becoming a Mentor volunteer. Mentors need to be compassionate, patient, caring and have an understanding of the social issues facing indigenous young people within the Blacktown LGA area.
This position requires someone who could be a role model for a young student. You need to be resilient, mature and able to provide social and emotional support to a secondary aged student.
Please note that all volunteers must be:
- aged 18 years or older.
- available during school hours.
- either an Australian citizen/resident or entitled to live and work in Australia (we are unable to accept volunteers on temporary Visas).
- Preferably from an Indigenous background or understand the current social issues young people face
- fluent in English language skills (verbal and written).
- able to commit for a minimum full school year in 2022.
Our volunteers come from diverse backgrounds, you may be a retiree, a stay-at-home parent, a university student or someone looking to give back. Experience in a school is not compulsory but you do need to be supportive, positive, understanding and have a genuine interest in helping young people to succeed.
You'll share your skills, knowledge and experience that can transform a child's life and academic outcomes. In the process you can make new friends, make a difference in the community and gain a sense of satisfaction and wellbeing too.
EdConnect screens, interviews and trains each volunteer to ensure the safety of students and volunteers. We support over 16,000 students in Australia and are growing our volunteer pool in NSW.