Our Pet Therapy teams provide much appreciated visits and companionship to our patients in hospital. Our Pet Therapy dogs love a pat and spending time with people. They are comfortable with new environments and have a relaxed and calm nature. They are toilet trained and experienced in basic dog training commands.
Essential requirements for pet therapy dogs:
- Up to date with vaccinations
- Between 1 year - 7 years in age
- Able to walk on a 'loose lead' with no pulling or lunging
- Not startled by sudden noises or actions
- No excessive licking
- Able to follow commands such as sit, stay, leave it
- Toilet trained - toilet on cue is desirable
- Not fed a raw diet
- Able to be washed weekly before visiting the hospital
- No health concerns such as arthritis
Volunteer Pet Therapy teams must be able to commit to the same 2 hour shift weekly either 10am-12pm or 2pm-4pm (days flexible) for a minimum period of 6 months.
If this sounds like your dog and you would like to share their great personality with our patients we want to hear from you! Please ensure you address the criteria above in your application.
All Mater Volunteers receive on boarding and training to ensure you are confident in your role. All Mater Pet Therapy dogs undergo a comprehensive assessment to determine their suitability for the program.
COVID-19 vaccination as a conditional requirement of employment for all staff and volunteers. Please note proof of vaccination (MyGov Medicare Vaccination Certificate or Medical Certificate) will be required as a pre commencement requirement.