We have an exciting opportunity for qualified dog trainers and behaviourists to help our behaviour team work with dogs in the shelter that require additional training before they are suitable for adoption. This is an excellent opportunity for a recent graduate of a dog training and behaviour course to gain experience working with a large number of dogs with a range of behaviour issues. It's also perfect for a qualified, experienced trainer who is keen to help in the area of animal welfare.
This diverse and varied role would include the following:
- Provide enrichment & exercise for dogs in the behaviour program
- Train and maintain behaviours using positive reinforcement techniques (force-free)
- Assist behaviour trainers with performing behaviour assessments of shelter dogs
- Assist with administrative tasks as required
We are looking for people who can commit to a 4 hour shift on a weekday from 10am - 2pm.
To be considered for this role, volunteers must:
- Be over 18 years of age
- Have a qualification in dog training and/ or behaviour (e.g. Delta, CASI, Karen Pryor, Cert IV Companion Animal Services)
- Demonstrated dog training experience
- Confidence handling large breeds and an ability to read dog body language
- Double vaccinated for COVID-19
COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Workers) Orders
LDH volunteers are considered to be ‘veterinary and pet/ animal care workers’ under the COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (General Workers) Order (Order) issued by Victoria’s Chief Health Officer. This means that LDH volunteers must be vaccinated in accordance with the Order (subject to any applicable exemptions) and provide their employer with their vaccination information, as a condition of their volunteering at LDH. LDH will not be able to proceed with applicants who do not comply with the Order. All information provided to LDH in compliance with these directions will be treated as sensitive information and managed in accordance with the Privacy Act of 1988.
Due to the popularity of our volunteer program, we cannot guarantee that all candidates will be offered a volunteering opportunity. If you miss out this time, we encourage you to apply again in future as more opportunities become available.