Dr. James Hansen, NASA Climate Scientist (1967 – 2013) and Advisor to the White House (1988 – 2007):
- “Most impressive is the work of the Citizens' Climate Lobby, a relatively new, fast growing, non-partisan, non-profit group. If you want to join the fight to save the planet, to save creation for your grandchildren, there is no more effective step you could take than becoming an active member of this group.”
Who we are
Citizens' Climate Lobby Australia is a grassroots education and advocacy organisation focused on accelerating solutions to climate change through democracy.
As a non-partisan and volunteer-driven organisation, we have local groups across the country that write to, meet and talk with politicians, citizens, community leaders, business leaders and media from across the political spectrum.
We work towards the adoption of fair, effective, and sustainable solutions that will reduce greenhouse gas emissions as well as drive the transition towards a clean energy future for Australia.
What your contribution could look like
There are many ways you could contribute, depending on your interest and skills, such as:
- Organising: (organising information, data entry, coordinating volunteers).
- Writing: (social media posts, letters to the editor, letters to parliament).
- Research: (e.g., looking things up online, or reading up on a topic).
- Advertising: (designing flyers, designing social media).
- Events: (planning, hosting).
- Outreach: (e.g. calling or emailing community or business leaders).
- Talking with people: (with strangers, with people you know).
- Speaking publicly: (presentations, asking questions at public meetings).
To succeed in this role, you should have:
- A desire to be part of an organisation focused on climate change solutions.
- A positive, “can-do” attitude with a willingness to work with a team of passionate volunteers.
- Ability to work independently to help get the important stuff done.
- Openness to learning and trying new things.
- Anywhere in Australia.
Citizens' Climate Lobby Australia is an educational and advocacy organisation. We train, educate and provide the tools for our volunteers to become effective advocates for climate action.
Our core values
- Non-partisan: we're open to all who are serious about climate change. You are welcome no matter where you live, what you wear, what you do for a living, or who you voted for in the last election. We work with MPs and leaders from across the political spectrum because we believe that everyone is a potential ally.
- Focus: So we can be effective, we don’t get distracted by work that does not support our core purpose. After we accomplish our goal, we will tackle the next most impactful solution.
- Relationships: We take the most generous approach to other people as possible — appreciation, gratitude, and respect. We listen, we work to find common values, and we endeavor to understand our own biases. We are honest and firm. We know that there is a place for protest, but our approach is to build consensus — that’s what will bring enduring change. That’s why MPs and their staff say they are happy to see us, and mean it.
- Optimism: We believe that people are good, and that democracy works. We are confident in this approach because we see progress. We stand for a solution, not in protest of other solutions. We don’t expect perfection from ourselves or others; this is a process and we know that people can improve. Together, we are a community of volunteers that offer each other comfort, support and fun as we work.
- Integrity: We are prepared and do our research. We are always on time for meetings. Our approach is thoughtful and thorough. We consult experts and utilise data. We are open to new information; in fact we solicit opposing opinions. We refine our solutions to make them better. We follow up when we are asked. We keep on.
- Personal Power: We use our voices to be heard. This simple act transforms us from spectators to engaged citizens, and it reveals the true nature of democracy to us. We are volunteer-driven — trusting volunteers to make important decisions, and to create and develop things that will be valued by Citizens’ Climate Lobby.
- Diversity: We empower everyone in exercising their personal and political power regardless of race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, ability or political affiliation. We seek out, support and elevate people whose voices may not have been fully heard.