headspace is Australia's National Youth Mental Health Foundation providing early intervention mental health services to 12-25 year olds.
Youturn is a not-for-profit organisation that started in 1989 to help address youth homelessness in Noosa. Since then, the organisation and grown and evolved, and now provides health and social services to over 6,000 young people and their families annually, to assist them in achieving their full potential.
Youturn is the lead agency of five headspace centres across Southern Queensland that focus on early intervention for young people through a range of services.
The purpose of the Family & Friends Representative is to provide advice and support to the headspace Maroochydore/Gympie Consortium in the provision of mental health services to young people aged 12-25 years old. This is to include strategies that promote a family-inclusive service that meets the requirements of young people accessing our services.
Location: headspace Maroochydore/Gympie
Employment Status: This is a voluntary position, supported by Youturn as lead agency of the headspace Maroochydore/Gympie consortium.
Commitment: Minimum 2 hours a month. The Consortium meets bimonthly on a Monday for 90 minutes from 2-3:30pm. There may be occasions where this is more frequent. Reading of information and consultation around agenda and minutes will be required between meetings.
- Provide advice and support about the strategic direction of headspace Maroochydore and headspace Gympie;
- Participate in the improvement and evaluation of headspace services;
- Participate in community activities that promote the headspace service, including the improvement of mental health literacy in the community and reducing the stigma of mental health;
- Recommend projects that increase the engagement of families within the headspace service;
- Represent the needs of family and friends attending headspace Maroochydore and headspace Gympie;
- Work in a healthy and safe manner and encourage others to practice in a similar way. This is to ensure all employees, contractors and volunteers at Youturn practice within the Youturn Work Health & Safety Framework
- Fulfil the role in a manner that reflects the Vision, Mission and Values of Youturn and headspace; and
- Complete training on headspace and youth mental health with Youturn support.
- Hold, or be valid to hold a Working with Children Check issued by the Public Safety Business Agency; and
- Ability to interact and/or engage in a youth-friendly manner.
- Knowledge of Maroochydore and/or Gympie youth/ health sectors
- Have knowledge and/or experience supporting or caring for a young person on their mental health journey;
- Be passionate about youth mental health and the continuous improvement of mental health services;
- The ability to work within a team and participate in group discussions;
- Have the motivation, willingness and commitment to participate and respond to communication on an ongoing basis; and
- Be available to attend (in-person or via video-conferencing) the bi-monthly headspace Maroochydore/Gympie Consortium
For everyone who shares our passion We encourage applications from people of all ages, nationalities, abilities and cultures – including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, the LGBTQI+ community and people living with disability.
Mission & Values
Supporting young people in their time of need, is at the heart of what we do at Youturn. Our organisational culture is built on trusting relationships that are meaningful and inclusive. We listen to understand, we embrace diversity and we offer a safe space free from judgement.
To ensure our young people receive individualised support, we invest in team members who embody our values to foster a collaborative culture of excellence.
How to apply
Please review the selection criteria carefully to determine your suitability for the role. Candidates applying for this volunteer position are to provide a one-page statement outlining:
- Why you have applied for this position;
- Your ability to meet the requirements of the position as outlined under ‘Responsibilities of the position’; and
- What key strength/s would you bring to the headspace Maroochydore/Gympie Consortium if you were successful.