Special Olympics Australia is a not-for-profit organisation that provides regular sports training, competition opportunities, and development programs for people with an intellectual disability across Australia.
The Sports Coordinator is responsible for supporting the State Committee in addressing the objectives outlined in the State Committee Terms of Reference in regard to Games and Competition and Sport.
The role ensures that games and selection are organized according to the schedule, at a high standard, and adhere to the SOA policies. The role will also provide required support and advice to sports-specific coordinators.
The ideal candidate will have sports management/development experience along with strong relationship building skills.
- Support the coordination and delivery of multi-sport State Games in partnership with the State Sport Coordinators
- Oversee the selection process and management of State teams
- Plan, implement and maintain the annual State sports calendar
- Develop and support the sports coordinators
- Support coach development
Key Tasks Games and Competition
- Coordinate, fund, and deliver multi-sport events in partnership with the State Sport Coordinators annually, including budget management with Central Office oversight and approval;
- Complete State selections in accordance with national selection policies. This can be done by forming a selection sub-committee or by appointing an independent Chair to oversee selections by the state committee;
- Ensure that clubs follow and comply with the process for athlete and official selection and endorsement for State teams;
- Undertake the endorsement process of athletes and officials for National Games in line with the national selection policy;
- Oversee training and management for State teams; in conjunction with Head of Delegation;
- Plan, implement, and maintain the annual State sporting calendar by the 30 September of each year, in conjunction with Clubs;
- Meet with Sports Coordinators at least twice a year, including an annual coaches conference;
- Ensure adherence to a consistent competition landscape and standardized approach in line with SOA policies;
- Share best practice and advice in sport training and competition management to all stakeholders;
- Encourage and actively promote coach development and education;
- Keep up to date with the official sport's rules of Special Olympics (Article 1 sports rules);
- Working with Children / Working with Vulnerable People Check
- National Police / Criminal History Check
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management ability
- Strong computer literacy and capability to maintain accurate records
- Relevant experience in sports coaching and/or management
- Proven experience in effectively managing multiple stakeholders
- Understanding of relevant WH&S requirements
- Experience in Club level sports program
Please send a copy of your resume and a short cover letter detailing your experience and suitability for this position to email@example.com. Please note that if you do not include these documents your application shall not be considered.