The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) was established in 1948 and was legislated under the immigration (Education) Act 1971. The AMEP is funded by the Australian Government. It provides English language tuition for eligible new, adult migrants and refugees to help them learn foundation English language and settlement skills.
The program supports the development of knowledge and skills that significantly improves the lives of students by providing pathways to greater social participation, employment, further study and training.
Location: Sydney Areas
Days: Monday to Saturday, Flexible times to suit your availability
Hours: 1 hour per week
About the role
AMEP TAFE NSW is seeking online Volunteer Tutors to provide English language tuition and practice for 1 hour per week to migrants and refugees who are eligible for the AMEP. The one-to-one lessons will be held online via a platform such as ZOOM, TEAMS or Skype. TAFE NSW recruits, trains, and matches volunteer tutors to students.
- Undergo a Working with Children’s Check – Free of charge for volunteers
- Undergo a National Police Check – TAFE NSW will undertake this at no cost to you
- Ability to commit to volunteering one hour each week for a minimum of 6 months
- Volunteers are required to attend all Interview / Training / Orientation sessions before being permitted to participate in the program.
- A caring Nature and an interest in helping people settle into their new community
- NSW residents only
Training / Information Session
- Volunteer Tutors will be trained using an online resource A Course in Volunteer English Language Tutoring. The online training course is designed to be the equivalent of a minimum of 15 hours face to face.
- Training is free and ongoing support with other training and workshop opportunities available to all volunteers.
Ongoing Training and Support
- The Volunteer Tutor Scheme Coordinator will support volunteer tutors through regular communication and providing training updates. Tutors will also be encouraged to communicate with AMEP teachers if their student is receiving either face-to-face classroom or distance learning tuition.
- TAFE values all volunteer tutors’ contribution to the program, we will continue to assist and support you with your work as a Volunteer Tutor.
- Online workshops are held regularly to provide further information and knowledge to assist tutors.