Do you want to help save orangutans, other critically endangered species, and the last rainforests of Indonesia?
The Orangutan Project (TOP) is expanding and we're setting up a new North Eastern Melbourne Team to raise funds in the outer-eastern and north-eastern areas of Melbourne (including Ringwood, Croydon, Doncaster, Templestowe, Lilydale, Healesville, Warrandyte, Eltham, Hurstbridge, Wantirna, Greensborough and the Yarra Valley).
The key roles we're recruiting for this team are Fundraising Team Leader, Assistant Team Leader, and Event Coordinator. Team Leaders are especially important to help us grow and increase our fundraising opportunities - and the time to join us is now!
About the role This position reports to and is supported by the Volunteers Fundraising Manager. Fundraising Team Leaders play a crucial role as they manage teams of volunteers to raise much-needed funds. They also mentor young volunteers, increase TOP's reach into new markets, and assist with acquisition of new donors and supporters.
Key tasks include:
- Work with the Event Coordinator, Assistant Team Leader and Volunteers Fundraising Manager to conceive, plan, manage and coordinate a variety of fundraising activities and events in your region
- Work with the Event Coordinator, Assistant Team Leader and Volunteers Fundraising Manager to plan and implement marketing and promotions of events
- Sell tickets to fundraising events through your networks and in your community and beyond
- Manage your team of Fundraising and Events Volunteers with help from the Assistant Team Leader
- Book and manage stalls at markets and community festivals to seek donations, promote adoptions and sell merchandise
- Work with the Event Coordinator to coordinate a minimum of two major events per year
- At events and presentations, talk to people about the threats facing orangutans and how TOP is safeguarding orangutans, other species and rainforests in Sumatra and Borneo
- Help to bring new volunteers on board and train and support new volunteers to ensure they have the knowledge and resources they need
- Record and bank funds raised
- Manage fundraising targets and budgets and report monthly to the Volunteers Fundraising Manager
- Order, store and transport merchandise and stall equipment
- Communicate regularly with your volunteers, TOP staff and the Volunteers Fundraising Manager
- Work both online using the Google Suite and also in-person at events, markets and festivals
- Follow TOP's policies and procedures and Code of Conduct
You're passionate about the environment, especially about saving critically endangered species (orangutans, tigers, elephants and more) from extinction and safeguarding rainforests.
You are full of ideas, a proactive self-starter, and a good communicator who enjoys getting out and about in your local community. You have time and energy to put into this role, including volunteering some weekends and evenings.
You have some experience in either team management or fundraising. You have strong interpersonal skills and enjoy working on teams. A good understanding of customer service, the ability to supervise others, strong organisational skills, and being comfortable working online will all help you to be successful.
This role is an excellent opportunity to build on your existing skills and experience and bolster your resume for the future. You’ll get support and training in areas that you may need to develop further.
Above all, you're looking for a fun, dynamic role that's full of variety and capacity to grow. You're looking to use your skills and knowledge with a reputable environmental charity and make a real difference to some of the world's most precious environments and species.
If this sounds like you, please apply below. After you’ve applied, please also send a copy of your resume or brief summary of your experience to our email address, which will be sent to you in an automated message.
About The Orangutan Project
Volunteering with TOP, you’ll meet passionate people who are making a difference to help save orangutans and the forest communities who share their home. Best of all, 100% of the donations you collect will go directly to supporting orangutan and rainforest conservation!
The Orangutan Project highly values our wonderful volunteers and the enormous contribution they make. Our volunteers raise much-needed funds for and awareness about the urgent need for conservation. We're always delighted to welcome new volunteers from diverse backgrounds.