The Haven at Whyalla will provide information to women, by email, over the phone and in person. The heart and soul of WIS is about listening to women, identifying key issues, and providing information and referrals to assist them with life decisions. We aim to increase access to information that gives choice and empowerment.
The tasks that WIS Outreach volunteers do are varied and many involve engaging with women from the local community. WIS Outreach volunteers:
- Regular administration tasks to support the service
- Talk with women who come to The Haven specifically for assistance.
- Support established groups within the centre, build rapport and assist with relevant WIS information and referrals.
- Develop and deliver (with support) nontherapeutic groups that can fill a need in the community, build rapport and assist with relevant WIS information and referrals.
- Organize community information sessions around topics of interest
- Promote Whyalla Centacare and The Haven to community groups and community services.
- Develop opportunities for The Haven volunteers to be involved with in the local community.
- Attend community events and expos on WIS stalls.
Prior to an offer of a volunteer position being made, candidates must:
- Agree to undergo a Department of Human Services Vulnerable Person Related Employment and/or Working with Children screening check.