Foodbank VolunteerAsylum Seeker Resource Centre
The Asylum Seeker Resource Centre (ASRC) is both a place and a movement. We are an independent not for profit, whose programs support and empower people seeking asylum to maximise their own physical, mental and social wellbeing. As a movement, we mobilise and unite communities to create lasting social and policy change for people seeking asylum in Australia. We are proud to be owned and run by our community of volunteers and supporters.
The ASRC employs over 100 staff and depends on over 600 dedicated volunteers to carry out programs that support and empower thousands of people seeking asylum each year.
- Welcoming and engaging members as they enter the shop
- Assisting members while shopping, providing an excellent customer service experience
- Replenishing food and goods on shelves and maintaining attractive shop displays
- Maintaining a welcoming, clean and safe environment
- Packing bulk goods into small bags
- Sorting fresh fruit and vegetables
- Receiving donations, welcoming donors and recording their donations
- Sorting donations (fresh and non-perishable food)
- Maintaining accurate records using the database
- Working cooperatively in a diverse team of other volunteers
- Interacting in a calm and respectful manner at all times with people seeking asylum, volunteers and staff
What we’re looking for
- A positive, respectful and cooperative attitude
- A commitment to attend your weekly shift
- An ability to abide by Foodbank processes
- An ability to thrive in a team environment including taking instruction from the team leader, Volunteer Coordinator and CFP staff
- A strong interest in being a part of the ASRC, in line with our culture and values
- An ability to drive the ASRC van (full driver’s license required) to collect donations is useful but not essential
- Involves varying amounts of manual lifting, including some heavy items between 5 and 12kg.
- Involves activities such as stooping, kneeling, reaching above head and pushing heavy items on trolleys. Standing and or/sitting for long periods of time, regular walking and bending.