HammondCare is looking for a Bus Driver Volunteer for their aged care residents in Wahroonga. With your help, elderly residents from HammondCare Wahroonga will be able to enjoy social outings in their local community. As a Bus Driver Volunteer, you will be helping aged care residents to access places and events in the community.
As you volunteer each week or fortnight, you’ll be responsible for:
• Driving the facility’s bus to and from destinations in the local community.
• Driving safely, legally and responsibly to ensure the safety and comfort of all passengers.
• Assisting passengers as they get on and off the bus, including securing wheelchairs.
• Engaging with residents and supporting them to have an enjoyable experience on outings.
• Assisting staff with simple bus maintenance practices.
This volunteer role will suit someone who is aged between 25 – 79 and has:
• Class C driver’s licence
• Experience driving multiple passengers.
• Passion for making a difference in the lives of elderly people.
• Good communication skills - including clear verbal communication.
• Empathy and patience.
• Capacity to relate to people who may be experiencing symptoms of dementia.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Current Covid vaccination or be willing to have the vaccination prior to starting.
The time commitment is one outing each week for six months or longer. The days are flexible.
We'll provide training and support from an onsite Volunteer Coordinator. Successful applicants will be required to complete a police background check which we’ll arrange.