About the Project
The Housing Options Practical Employment (HOPE) Project supports vulnerable members of the community and those who are experiencing, or are at risk of homelessness – through:
- Providing support for housing related issues
- Support to secure and maintain employment
- Access to computers and digital literacy training
- Providing access to showers, laundry and meals
- Free community meal
The project operates out of ‘Bernie’s Place’, which is a newly renovated community space in the building next door to the Mount Gravatt Community Centre.
About the Position
The Community Meals Coordinator will be working as part of a small team to prepare a regular free meal for the community, in the brand new kitchen located at ‘Bernie’s Place’. This aims to engage disadvantaged members of the community and teach basic skills around food preparation.
The role may include:
- Creating a welcoming environment for clients experiencing disadvantage
- Assisting in the planning and development of the communal meals program
- Allocating tasks amongst the volunteer team
- Liaising with MGCCI staff and volunteers around food donation supply and availability.
- Preparing and serving a weekly meal
- Informal teaching of basic food safety and preparation skills