Tasks and duties
- Gathering project requirements by liaising with stakeholders.
- Analysing project requirements and designing solutions and features.
- Creating wireframes and virtual prototypes to illustrate project specifics.
- Using computer software to write and modify programming code.
- Modifying and documenting the program code to correct errors.
- Testing code for bugs and implementing improvements and fixes.
- Solving problems using logic and methodical testing processes.
- Developing testing and validation processes.
- Deploying code to the live environment.
Developers often work to a process known as the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), which contains six stages: analysis, design, development and testing, implementation, documentation, and evaluation.
They interact with computers daily and work in teams at IT companies or in the IT department of a broad range of technology-driven organisations.