Volunteer TutorSwinburne Volunteer Tutor Program
The Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre is advertising this role on behalf of Swinburne University of Technology.
Do you have good spoken and written English language skills? If you have an interest in adult education and in helping people to achieve their potential as well as patience and a good sense of humour then sign up as a Volunteer tutor.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- classroom-based assistance in the areas of language and literacy, also optionally numeracy and computer skills, working alongside a classroom teacher
- optional class assistance in online classes, small groups or 1:1 with students online
- working with adult migrants, refugees or adults who are working towards improving their language, literacy, numeracy or digital skills.
Skills and Experience:
- good spoken and written English language skills
- ability to pitch language at the appropriate level (some help for this is given in the training)
- interest in adult education and in helping people to achieve their potential
- patience and good sense of humour
- ability to listen
- gratitude expressed by students and teachers
- sense of using time for something worthwhile
- seeing students improve in their language skills and confidence
- sense of reward in helping newly-arrived migrants and refugees settle into Australian society
Note: Training sessions are held twice a year. Applicants will be contacted for a short telephone interview. Applications are via email.