Volunteer Social Club HostsVolunteering Redlands Inc
STAR Community Services is celebrating 25 years of supporting the local community. STAR is a not-for-profit, community organisation providing a range of NDIS and Aged Care services.
STAR's Social Club activities aim reduce social isolation for seniors by enabling them to access regular social activities, meet people and be active in the community.
STAR is looking for volunteers to join their lovely team of Social Club Hosts, both in the Redlands and Ipswich.
The Volunteer Social Club Hosts provide support for STAR's weekly social programs: Lunch Club & Easy Shopper plus fortnightly Charters. Our Social Club Hosts ideally are able flexible, and when needed, able to float from one program to another to cover each other occasionally.
The Lunch Club provides an opportunity for seniors to catch up regularly in a local club, restaurant or cafe for a meal.
- twice a week in the Redlands (Wednesdays and Fridays)
- once a week in Ipswich (Tuesdays)
Volunteers attend and host the lunch, which includes assisting clients with ordering, facilitating introductions and conversations and ensuring everyone has a lovely outing.
Lunch Club Hosting is about 3-4 hours per lunch.
Easy Shopper Volunteer Escort
The Easy Shopper Bus operates in Redlands every Tuesday and Thursday, and every Friday in Ipswich. The Easy Shopper Volunteer Escort tasks include:
- meeting and greeting clients at their door and escorting them on to the bus
- assisting clients with carrying their shopping bags
- stowing walkers and trolleys safely on the bus
- ensuring clients are wearing seat belts
- assisting clients (and their shopping) from the bus back to their front door
STAR arranges fortnightly charter trips:
- every 2nd Monday in the Redlands
- every 2nd Thursday in Ipswich
The Charter Trips are day trips which include a bus trip to local areas of interest, with stops for morning tea and lunch.
Volunteer Host responsibilities include:
- be able to get yourself to and from dining venues (for Lunch Club) and charter departure points (or meet the bus at STAR's offices for Charter/Easy Shopper)
- meet and greet clients at the designated venue/departure point for the bus
- ensure all attendees are present for both (and aboard after each stop throughout the charter)
- provide a brief overview of the day's charter to clients and answer enquiries
- assist with ushering clients to and from venues, placing morning tea and lunch orders
- assisting in the smooth running of the day
- encourage social interactions via ice breakers and social activities
- be available for at least one day per week + able to be flexible from time to time when needed
Successful applicants will have the following attributes:
- trust worthy, reliable, caring and compassionate
- have patience and a sense of humour
- have a warm, friendly and social demeanour
- genuinely interested in helping people
- able to recognise and respect the dignity, privacy, spiritual and cultural needs of clients
Please note we aim to recruit volunteers who are able to make a commitment to the organisation (of at least 3-6 months). In return STAR will provide training and support, flexibility and a friendly supportive environment. Volunteers also enjoy a free meal when hosting.